Heavy haul trucking is a specialized form of logistics service that involves moving large, heavy items through roads and highways. To be successful at this type of transportation, a company needs to use special equipment and careful planning due to the size and shape of the cargo being moved.
Here are the lists of essential equipment required for heavy haul trucking.
- Specialized Trucks. The backbone of any heavy haul trucking operation, specialized trucks are required to handle the large and sometimes very heavy loads. Here are some of it:
- Drop Deck Trailers. These are designed with a ‘drop’ in the deck height, allowing taller loads to be carried.
- Flatbed Trailers. A typical flatbed trailer is used to transport goods that are not vulnerable to adverse weather conditions.
- Lowboy Trailers. These trailers are specifically designed to carry tall items by providing a deck which sits lower than normal trailers.
- Extendable Trailers. These are used to carry long loads and can be extended as required.
- Pilot Cars. Also known as escort vehicles, pilot cars are used to guide trucks transporting oversized loads and alert oncoming traffic of the massive machines.
- Heavy Lifting Equipment. Forklifts, cranes, and hoists are all machines that can be employed to load or unload large pieces of freight during the transportation process. Mobile conveyor handling machines are often used in industries that deal with large and heavy objects, including construction, manufacturing, mining and logistics.
- Specialized Loading Equipment. Machines designed for particular industries are often optimized to meet those industry’s requirements, improving efficiency and safety. Ramps, chains, binders and straps are often necessary to keep a loaded trailer from shifting
- Wide Load Signs and Flags. Oversized loads often require special signs and lights, as well as road closures to ensure the safety of other drivers.
- Software and Tech Equipment. GPS systems and software, along with communication equipment such as radios or cell phones, are essential for coordinating the transportation of freight in real time.
- Personal Protective Equipment or PPE. Safety gears such as helmets, gloves and high-visibility clothing should be worn by all those involved in the transportation process to ensure everyone’s safety.
Companies who plan to undertake heavy haul trucking operations will need a dedicated team, trained to handle specialized equipment and unexpected situations. The crew must also understand the regulatory landscape, as the transportation of oversized loads often requires special permits and must comply with regulations. This can be a complex task, but with the right equipment and team, it’s one many companies are equipped to handle successfully.